A Butterfly's Beginning

Welcome! 

While we are still wafting the freshness of the New Year smell, I want us to focus our efforts on what it means to be a butterfly. Whether you are a seasoned veteran or a babe in Christ, I believe this is a lesson we, the Body of Christ, can glean from. 

Between the ages of 6 and 9 I spent a good amount of my summers at the Durham Museum of Life and Science. Their butterfly Habitat was second to none. Over time I had all but forgotten my memories I made there, until one day I saw a beautiful blue butterfly on my window sill while attending Indiana Bible College.
Sitting by my window with a cup of hot tea and my journal I watched this little monarch flutter around when God spoke to me and said, “That’s you.” At first I furrowed my brow and I shook my head, inquiring as to what He meant and this is what He showed to me and I have never forgotten. 
We, you and me, are changed like caterpillars into butterflies after receiving the Holy Ghost. What’s more, we aren’t JUST changed, it is a process! This process is a complete change. By definition, metamorphosis means “a change of the form or nature of a thing or person into a completely different one, by natural or supernatural means.” So, imagine, you are this gooey, little bug, nothing all that special and then you enter a chrysalis (not a cocoon) to emerge having earned your wings! But this is the cool part, that caterpillar, is no longer known as a caterpillar. He is now a butterfly. 
Scripture says in 2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.” When we receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, we take on the name of Jesus. We are reborn like the caterpillar. We are made new! Taking on the Name of Jesus gives us the opportunity for this miraculous change to take place. It gets better! Not only are we changed, but we are Called by a new name! (Ooo, girl! Somebody get on the Organ!) We are called by HIS name. Amen!

So, what I want us to take away from this little illustration is that we are made new under the power and anointing of the Holy Ghost. Our purpose is made known in knowing and loving He who has loved us. He took on all of Hell, just so He could know you. This great big God thought that even though He had a few billion butterflies already, you were worth giving the opportunity of change. Your wings, given as freely as the gift of the Holy Ghost have given you something much greater…His name. He gave His life, so that we would have the opportunity to experience His perfect love. Let’s just take a moment and thank Him. Oh, Thank you Jesus for loving us enough to lay down your life.
Alright, my beautiful little butterflies, remember who you are - and never forget the cost of your wings. 

Love Y’all, see you next week!

Comments

Popular Posts